Monday, April 27, 2009

Eight

Eight. It's a special number.

Some fun facts about the number 8, most of them courtesy of Wikipedia:

8 is the only Fibonacci number that is a perfect cube and 8 is the largest cube in the Fibonacci sequence.

In nuclear physics, 8 is the second magic number.

8 is the atomic number of oxygen.

In human adult dentition there are 8 teeth in each quadrant. The eighth tooth is the so-called wisdom tooth.

In particle physics, the eightfold way is used to classify sub-atomic particles.

In Islam, 8 is the number of angels carrying The Holy Throne of Allah in the heavens.

In Christianity 8 is the number of Beatitudes.

The Buddha's principal teaching -- the Four Noble Truths -- ramifies as the Noble Eightfold Path.

Eight is considered a lucky number in Chinese culture because it sounds like the word "prosper" or "wealth."

In chess, each side has 8 pawns and the board.

There are eight vegetables in V8 juice.

And, 8 is a power of two. I like this definition the best today.

To my other half: You are my luckiest number, my oxygen, my perfect cube, my source of much wisdom, and I adore making moves on the game board of this life with you by my side as we walk our own noble path together. I have loved being a power of two with you for the past 8 years. So, I lift up a glass (of V8?) and toast to you, my darling; here's to many, many more magic numbers together.

11 comments:

Biff Miffle said...

Congratulations! And just for the record, I'd like to state that somewhere in the background of that picture, my car is sitting happily.

Mindi said...

Laurel, you are so clever. Congrats! .. and Happy Anniversary you two!

The Jackson Three said...

Congrats....and 8 is also my favorite number, so that is cool too.

la cuisine bourgeois said...

Oh, this is so beautiful...

and interesting...
and creative!

~Clarice

TnD said...

Love your eight years together and love you both.

#A5 said...

laurel, you're awesome. and ian's pretty rad too. hooray for the team!!

Julie said...

Yes, ditto to tbe congrats above. We like eight too. Robert's b-day is 8-8-08.

emily said...

Happy Anniversary to one of my favorite couples! And I love your 8 tribute. Why are you the most creative person on the planet? xoxo

Nate and Tasha said...

Happy Anniversary and Congrats! Ours is coming up in June. I can't believe it!

Dreamer said...

You really are crazy. Congrats on the big 8!! Soon it'll be 28!

Sarah said...

Why are your so freakin' cute! You are so sweet you sap. Now I must go and wipe my tears.